Every month we will be listing some tips that we feel could be helpful when creating your disc.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at email@example.com.
1. When setting up type, never modify your fonts using the style palette. It is a tempting shortcut, but makes font matching difficult and doesn't work on some printers. For example, select the font "Helvetica Bold" rather than bolding "Helvetica Regular" in the style palette.
2. Always check your links dialog box to make sure you include all fonts and artwork before sending a file.
3. Remember that PC fonts only work on a PC. Mac fonts should be included if a job is sent to a Mac environment.
4. It's a good idea to send a laser copy with your disk, so anyone opening the file can see what it should look like. This helps in font matching and ensures nothing is missed.
5. When setting up a file that is likely to have additions or changes at a later date, such as a menu or schedule, avoid using connecting text blocks. A small change in one text block can cause unwanted changes in other text blocks.
6. Don't forget that registration marks should be colored "Registration" in your color box.
7. It is a good habit to copy files to your hard drive rather than working from the disk. This avoids unwanted changes to the original file and provides a backup should the file become corrupt.
8. Typically any screen values less than 10% will blast out and not print on some printers. It is a good idea to use 10% or higher.
9. When doing 2, 3, or 4-color work, run laser separations on each page to make sure your document separates as you planned. It also serves as a guide when checking colors and placement.
10. Avoid adding crop marks manually. For example, rather than using an 8.5 x 11 for a 2 x 3 file, set up the document for the right size and let the program add the crop marks when you go to print.
11. If there is a blank space where copy is supposed to be, click on the area and check for an empty text box. Odds are your computer can't find the font used in that text block. Highlight the area and reselect the font in your font box.
12. Using "Master Pages" for imprinted documents will keep your imprints separate from the document page that it will print on. This avoids accidentally changing the items that typically stay the same on the "Master Page," and you can have as many imprint pages as you require.
13. Remember that photos printed in 4-color process must be selected CMYK in Image-Mode.
14. To avoid the "Missing File" message in your Utilities-Usage box, try to keep all artwork for a file in one folder. Having eps or tiff files in several folders will make it confusing for you and difficult to find a linked item in your files. Also, avoid changing the name of a linked file after it has been placed in your document or the computer won't be able to find your file.
15. Before printing a document, always update all files in your Utilities-Usage box.
CONTACT US FOR A QUOTE TODAY!
700 W. Albion Schaumburg, IL 60193
847 / 923-8060 Fax 847 / 923-9409